That’s what you want your website to say, but without blinding the audience. Business websites are looking for a unique way to announce their presence that gets the attention of viewers and keeps it. At first glance, they are interested, but what they find upon further observation may cause them to think twice. Avoid ushering them in, only to push them back out with what they see.
When it comes to creativity, web designers have it in spades. But, can too much of a good thing be all bad? Below are common web design mistakes that could turn folks away from your website.
Look at Me!
Seven Website Mistakes You Don’t Want to Make with the website design mistakes
- Poor navigational skills – On your part, that is, not that of the viewer. The first thing anyone wants to know when they visit your website is how to get around. They need a map. Place site maps in conspicuous places. Also, headings need to be prominent and self-explanatory. It might be cute to use the term “Loo” as a heading but if you live in the United States, “Bathroom” is going to get a better response. And when visitors can’t get past the home page, they leave altogether.
- Illegible font – It might seem cool to use a gothic style font on a Halloween website for effect, but those who are trying to read it won’t think so. If viewers stumble over your content for ten minutes trying to figure out what it says, they will take their business elsewhere. That’ll be pretty scary for you if you find the common website design mistakes.
- Clutter everywhere – You can have as many pages as you want for your website. Everything doesn’t have to squish on the same page. In fact, too many images, buttons, text and sounds lead to sensory overload. Tone it down and space your content accordingly.
- Contact information non-existent –this website design mistakes are no too common, Just because you create a business entity on the internet doesn’t mean that phone numbers, email addresses and physical addresses are a thing of the past. Customers will use a variety of contact methods to reach you. Make sure that they can do that.
- Poor form is common website design mistakes – We are not talking about your dance moves, but your registration and opt-in forms. Only ask for the information you need.
- Background check – You may not be a criminal but that background is. Dark font on dark background or dark images with a dark font won’t make readers happy. Avoid this combination and save a reader’s eyesight. Preview pages to ensure that you can read them easily. If you can’t, neither will your audience.
- Keep it seamless – Images and colour schemes should match the purpose of your website. From page to page, vary the images and content but not the colour scheme to provide continuity. Too many styles mixed together gives a schizophrenic feel to the entire site and viewers can become easily distracted. These are the top 10 mistakes in web design and you should website design mistakes to avoid while developing a website.
Creativity does make your site unique, but too much of it and everything becomes a disaster. Keeping everything at its simplest level works best and just avoid those website mistakes